Monday, March 17, 2014

Hearty Cabbage Soup Recipe

This weather is driving me crazy. One day the sun is shining & it's relatively warm and the next day it's back to being bitterly cold. In honour of Meatless Monday, I decided to whip up a nice heart healthy soup to warm us up from the inside out!

My daughter has been eating her dinner a bit earlier the past few days which is why I opted to take this recipe for a test drive last night as this would definitely not be toddler friendly. Well, it *may* be toddler friendly, as I swear my child will eat just about anything- but it's not baby-led weaning friendly. My goodness, could you imagine the mess?

I'd rather not.

Cabbage soup is a staple in many a diet, and is defintely a very Points+ friendly recipe. You could add in some additional ingredients if you so choose, but I opted to keep it simple last night after I had a pretty points heavy lunch.

Feel free to make this recipe with green cabbage also, it would likely be a bit more appealing to the eye if you did but as yesterday was St. Patricks day, the local grocery store was completely sold out this weekend. I imagine quite a few people enjoyed some good ol' corned beef & cabbage last night. I am slightly jealous, though I thoroughly enjoyed our healthy dinner.



Cabbage Soup
Serves 6
*adapted from Prevention
Leftovers store well in the fridge for up to 4 days

  • 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 4 cloves of garlic, diced
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
  • 6 cups of chicken or vegetable broth (I used fat free Chicken broth)
  • 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
  • 1 Tablespoon Fennel seeds
  • 1 pound of cabbage, cored & chopped
  • 2 cups of diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt & fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 cup of low-fat sour cream 

In a large stockpot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the celery, onion and garlic and saute until the onion is soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.

Next stir in the cabbage, vinegar & fennel seeds then cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes.

Add the broth, tomatoes and spices to the pot. Cover and simmer for an addition 40 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt if desired. I did account for the sour cream in my Points+ value.

This soup had such a great flavour and for only 3Points+, I had a hearty serving along with some toasted whole grain garlic bread. Leftovers for lunch today tasted even better!

xoxo,
Amanda


Nutritional Information:
Points+: 3
Calories: 87 | Fat: 2.7g | Carbs: 11.8g | Protein: 7.1g
*Points calculated using the recipe builder on the Weight Watchers website. Nutritional information is obtained using the recipe builder on My Fitness Pal.

No comments:

Post a Comment